I've moved!

***Click here to visit Kim Fielding's Website***

New blog posts will appear on the new site, but I've also added a feed right below this message.

Kim Fielding Writes » Blog

Monday, May 5, 2014

Motel Pool locations 1: Hollywood

Over the next few weeks I'll be posting about some of the locations featured in my new novel, Motel. Pool. Today is the first stop: Hollywood.
 
 
 
The mall where I took this pic is right on Hollywood Boulevard, and was the setting for one of my very first stories, "Act One." Yes, there's the famous Hollywood sign and the famous smog.
 
To be honest, Los Angeles is not my favorite city. But I don't mind an occasional visit there, and I have to admit I'm a little drawn by the simultaneous glamour and seediness of Hollywood.
 

I mean--Cary Grant, right?


 
 
The opening chapter of Motel. Pool. take place in Hollywood in the mid-1950s, when Cary Grant and Marilyn Monroe might have been hanging around. And when, I imagine, a lot of young men showed up hoping to be the next James Dean. Young men like Jack Dayton--a meatpacker's son from Omaha, who learns the hard way that the casting couch won't lead to fame.

 
The photo above is actually from a little way down Santa Monica Boulevard. It's West Hollywood, which today has its own interesting sights. Like pet stores with intriguing advertisements:


 
Do you have a favorite Hollywood icon from the 1950s?


3 comments:

  1. While I have no favorite Hollywood icon, your Cary Grant pic made me think of how much Spike and Dru would have loved it there at that time period. They'd have had a bloody blast.

    The story sounds like it'll be really good. Oh and I meant to stop by your last post but last week was the last week of class and you know how that goes. I very much enjoyed Emet and Jakob's story in Stitch (I'm on Jamie's story now).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're absolutely right about Spike and Dru! I can picture them there for sure.

      And thank you! I'm really glad you enjoyed the golem. I bet you'll love Jamie's story.

      Delete
  2. Now I'm wondering if I set the fan fic with those two at a radio show there or not because man that's been years ago.

    I am and now that finals are over (yay) I can actually read or you know, breathe.

    ReplyDelete